Monday, February 18, 2008

A few more vids, plus an update or two

A week or two ago I mentioned a video I'd seen of longtime Puffy producer Tamio Okuda singing "Mother", which I'd failed to locate again afterwards. Well, TofuUnion, a Puffy fan from Japan, was nice enough to send me the link. Oddly enough, YouTube is telling me I've already linked to it! Maybe it's in one of the comments here, but I haven't seen it.

The video actually starts out as a tribute to Okuda, which is worth watching too as it includes both AmiYumi and Kimura Kaela. But his live version of "Mother" afterwards is really quite moving.


I may as well also post a couple of other links that he sent me, including a rare Puffy live performance of Unicorn's "Subarashii Hibi".

First, Tamio Okuda singing "Wild Girls on Circuit" - I think this is actually pretty funny:


I really don't know what's up with him singing so many Puffy songs. Yeah, he wrote them for Puffy, but come on! Wild Girls on Circuit? Some songs just aren't meant to be sung by a middle-aged man.

Puffy have occasionally covered Tamio's songs as well. Yeah, technically *all* the songs he wrote for them are covers, but not really. Here they are from their first tour singing Unicorn's final single "Subarashii Hibi":


And later in 2004, a more mature Puffy singing "Beef":


Ok! Now, a few quick updates. Tonight, Puffy played Green Power Live, a show with a few other bands, and I'll be looking around for show reports and will post them if I find them. Other than that, there hasn't been a lot of big news coming out of Japan lately - so I've been watching Amazon and checking my email from their US publicity agency for any word of the impending US album release. Nothing yet. Rest assured I'm on the case. They do seem to be taking their sweet time, which may point to the possibility of one or more extras being prepared for the US release. But we'll have to see.

1 comment:

  1. Wicked! This site is amazing. I've been listening to "Radio Tokyo" for 2 days straight now, so its about time I find a good site with all the information I need. Keep it coming. AmiYumi is become love.

    ReplyDelete